Monday, April 4, 2011

A Little Scare

On Wednesday I had my 37 week appointment. I was hoping to get some good news.... like I was dilated or making progress. When I got to the doctor's office, they took my blood pressure as usual. It was high.... 160/90. The nurse sent me to my room and told me to lay on my left side. After laying down for a while it got better. We listened to the baby's heartbeat and waited for Dr. Nicholls to come it.

When Dr. Nicholls got in the room he told me that I had traces of protein in my urine, high blood pressure, was very swollen (which I have been for a while), and then asked if I had a headache. Yes, I had a headache for the past 2 days. He told me that we was very concerned that I may have preeclampsia. I went first to get an ultrasound then I would head over to labor and delivery for a while, for them to monitor my blood pressure.

First stop... ultrasound. The tech measured everything. Amniotic fluid looked good - 16 centimeters of that.  Placenta looked good - Stage 2 with some calcium spots. Then the tech said "Lets see how much he weighs... Wow! He is a big boy!" Already John Turner is measuring 8 pounds and 5 ounces! I still don't believe it... not til I see an 8 pound baby. At this rate (and according to the tech), I could have a 9 and a half or 10 pound baby! The tech then said, "Let measure his head and stomach. You know, I like to see a big stomach, but not a big head. A big stomach can be swished down if needed, but not a head." Well low and behold, John Turner's head is already measuring at 40 weeks! Very large! And so is his stomach! This boy has not missed any meals. She turned on the 4D and we got a cute picture of him!
 Gunter thinks now John Turner looks like me! 
We will see in 2 weeks! 

We then went on to labor and delivery. I sat there for 4 hours where they did blood work, another urine sample, and monitored my blood pressure, all of that good stuff. I sent Gunter back to work, then I got a little quiet time to myself. I finished reading The Island, which I really enjoyed, and started reading Water for Elephants. It is really good as well, and will be coming out in the theaters in April, with Robert Pattinson and Reese Whiterspoon! 

Everything turned out very well! They checked me the hospital I was only dilated 1/2 a centimeter. But that is better than nothing, I guess! 

I go back to see Dr. Nicholls on Wednesday, so maybe I will know a little more by then. 2 weeks exactly from today is my due date! 

4 comments:

  1. Kari Beth, John Turner is so cute! It will be fun if he looks like you and your mom since ya'll are both so cute. I know you can't wait to see him in person. I pray that your blood pressure goes down so that you can rest easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope everything settles down and i'm glad you and john turner are okay!! thinking of you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he looks like you too! Especially his nose! :) Praying for y'all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading your blog--will miss it some I'm sure when John Turner arrives, but try to give your fans an update when possible. Hope the rest is less eventful--In my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete