Saturday, April 16, 2011

Highs and Lows

Life is full of highs and lows, isn't it? Expect the unexpected. I am just glad that God is in control of our lives and already has a plan laid out for John Turner....

I will start with the lows... since that is not always fun. Early this morning we expected the best. We would get to leave Flowers Hospital today. But then the nurse called about 10 am and said change of plans. John Turner's bilirubin levels are high, meaning that he has jaundice. They are at 16.4, which is not real high, but because he has had other problems, Dr. Barron our pediatrician wanted to go ahead and treat it. They treat it by phototherapy, meaning in has to get under the bilirubin light for several hours. They will test his levels again at 4pm today, and we can know more about leaving the hospital. We definitely won't be going anywhere tonight.

This was a huge let down. We were thrilled about leaving the hospital and taking John Turner home... and most especially about introducing him to Heath! But God has another plan. John Turner will go home when he is ready. And I would rather him be ready... and us try to fix all of his problems here at the hospital, rather than having to bring him up to the hospital again later on to fix problems.

Dr. Nicholls just came by to discharge me. He was the bearer of some not fun news... My blood levels are low, meaning that I am anemic. He could have treated this with a blood transfusion, but said that he would rather not. This can cause some problems getting pregnant again later on. Therefore he is going to give me some iron supplements and I will have to deal with feeling fatigued until my levels get back up.

Highs! There are many!
 #1- We are getting to hold John Turner! He is so cute! I just can't stand it! Last night he had his first "escape" from the nursery and to our room!

Begin wheeled down to our room for a visit.

 #2 - Last night we got to feed him his first bottle. The nurse said that I could try nursing, but I had just pumped right before, so decided against that.




#3 - This morning I got to nurse for the first time and John Turner did really well! We nursed again about 11:30, but he was really sleepy, and not interested. Then the nursery called and said that it was time for his "boy procedure."  Dr. Barron called a few minutes ago and said that his procedure went well, they were going to watch him for an hour or so to make sure that there wasn't any bleeding, then stick him under the lights  for a while. I will try to nurse again hopefully in little bit!

More updates to come!

1 comment:

  1. He is just so beautiful! Wish I could get my hands on him. Praying y'all can take that sweet baby home SOON! :)

    ReplyDelete