Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Something Old, Something New

There is a christening gown that has been in my family for years... over 110 years to be exact. It is on my dad's side of the family. My grandmother, Barbara Brown's (we call her MeMe) grandmother made it in 1902 for her children. It was hand- made and is beautiful! We have several pictures of the children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren wearing it. It was lost for a little while... sadly when my dad was younger, but has been found again. Therefore, we have started a new tradition of taking the new grandbabies picture in it.

We do not christen at our church. The babies are dedicated to the church. But because this gown is so small, we were unsure if John Turner would fit in it when the Dedication Day rolled around. So when we were in Birmingham in May, I went ahead and took pictures of John Turner in MeMe's christening gown. It was so delicate that I was afraid to button it in the back... but you can't tell from the pictures!
My grandmother, MeMe, in the handmade christening gown. 
This picture was taken in the 1930s. 

John Turner in MeMe's christening gown. 
I love the beautiful lace that was hand stitched onto the gown! 
It is such a special heirloom to have in our family.

This picture was taken back in May when John Turner was 6 weeks old... 
and could still fit into the gown. 
Not sure that would be a possibility now !

No comments:

Post a Comment