Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summer Reading List

I was the dork that loved to go to the library in the summers and get my summer reading list. You would read all of those books for a little treasure from the treasure box! ha! ha! In high school, the reading lists didn't stop. I had to read some doozies in high school that were just plain terrible. Although I did discover one of my favorite books of all time - The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Many years later, I still love reading during the summers... well really all of time. But there is something about reading a good book on the beach. Last summer I read all of Emily Giffin's books, which I loved and wasn't sure that this summer could top it. But since I have joined my book club, I have been introduced to some spectacular books!

So here is my 2011 reading list so far... I still have a few more weeks of summer left!

This was our April Book Club pick.
Not a summer read, but I love this book so much I had to add it!  

I had read this book when Gunter and I first got married, so I guess about 5 years ago. I remember the majority of the book, but it was good to read it again. If you haven't read this, it's a must. Same Kind of Different As Me is a true story about a modern-day slave and a wealthy art dealer. They become best friends through the art dealer's wife. It is interesting to see how God works in their lives in unlikely ways. I have to admit, there is a sad part... but it ends happily! 


One day I was browsing through Barnes and Noble and saw this book, Georgia Bottoms. It is written by an Alabama author and takes place in Alabama, so I thought how fun! I will read this! It will be about places that maybe I've been to in Alabama.... So I downloaded it on my Nook. Big waste of money! Don't get it! I hated this book. The only reason why I finished it was because I paid for it to go on my Nook and I felt guilty. It was raunchy and terrible! In one sentence it's about a woman who sleeps around and has an illegitimate child. Don't waste your time or money.  

This was our May Book Club pick!

Ree Drummond is hilarious! This book tell the love story between Pioneer Woman (Ree) and her husband (Malbro Man). It's so funny to hear the things that happened while she was dating her husband. There were parts where I was literally laughing out loud! I do wish the book would have ended a little differently. But at Book Club we decided it ended the way it did because she is writing a sequel. Who knows if Ree really is or not... just our opinion. If you want a light-hearted read this summer, pick this one up! 

This opened the door to me reading Ree's blog more. I would occasionally read it, but now I look at it more frequently. I love her recipes, photography, and stories. Check out her blog at www.thepioneerwoman.com .

Speaking of blogs, my sister-in-law told me about a blog that I have enjoyed reading - The Lettered Cottage.  This blog is written by a couple who live in Alabama. They have great design tips/ strategies, pictures, etc. on their blog. One of their latest posts mentioned about how they are going to help the Pioneer Woman next week! How fun is that?

Speaking of my sister-in-law, I love reading her blog. Especially this summer! She recently did a post on my sister, Kelsey, who will be going to East Asia in less than one month! Read the post on Kelsey here, look for the story entitled "From Auburn to Asia."

June Book Club pick! 

Wow! If you haven't read One Thousand Gifts it is a must this summer! Our Book Club discussion last week was so good. Talk about being challenged! Ann Voskamp is a very poetic writer, so that took a little getting used to, but the message is wonderful! Her book is about being thankful for everything that we have. "Thanksgiving precedes the miracle." This was a statement from the book. She often referred back to the Last Supper. Jesus first thanked God, before taking the bread and wine. We should do this as well in everything that we do. Voskamp kept a journal of 1000 things that she was thankful for over the course of 1 year. She also talked about slowing down and enjoying the things around us - the moon shinning down, the load of laundry you're folding, freshly baked cookies. You will be challenged through this book! 

My pick!

I am currently reading Summer Rental. I first heard about this book on The Lettered Cottage blog. I wasn't sure what it was... and thought maybe it was a book about beach rental houses! ha! ha!  Then I saw a write up about it in People magazine (where I love to find books to read). I thought I might try it out. So far, so good! I am about 1/2 through and I am enjoying it! 

June Book Club pick

I haven't heard much about this book. I do know that it is not all about football. The other pick for our book club was Gene Chizik All In. Guess Florida beat out Auburn on this! If anyone has it on their Nook or a copy of the book that they would let me borrow, it would be greatly appreciated! 

Summer Wish List: 
I have a few books that I wish to read before summer is up! 


My friend Leah gave this to me when I was in the hospital with John Turner. 
I am going to read it this summer! 


The girls in my Book Club tell me I need to read this before John Turner gets any older!


Heard this one sucks you in like Twilight!
And you'll read it in a day! 
I can't wait! 

I am always looking for new books to read! Looks like I have a lot to do before the Fall gets here! 


2 comments:

  1. ahhh i love the pioneer woman! I just bought her book and I can't wait to read it! I want to read most of the books on your list, you know Im a 'reading nerd' too :) and Hunger Games is addicting, you have to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - I sent a Nook friend request to your yahoo account. Did you get it? Not sure if I'm doing it right yet. I'm on book #3 in the hunger games, just 50 pages left! I can send you 1 and 2. I think you are allowed to keep them for 2 weeks, so we can stagger them. Love this post! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete