Thursday, September 23, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Two years ago, Gunter and I had the opportunity to purchase a "fixer-upper" in an area of older homes in our neighborhood. A friend called us and told us to go take a look at this house, that she thought we would like it. When we pulled up you couldn't even see a house. The front yard was so overgrown and full of giant pine trees. (Pictures to come soon.) The next door neighbor saw us pull up and offered to give us a tour of the home. The back door just happened to be unlocked! ha! ha!

My first thought was "Wow! This house has great potential!" I immediately started telling Gunter that we can move this wall and rip this out and that out, make it livable... It's perfect! A little background information: I lived in 7 different houses growing up, because my parents loved renovating older homes, making them livable, then selling a few years later to do that same thing. Gunter has lived in the same house for 15 years. So he had to trust me about the potential that saw in the house.

It ended up that everything had to be renovated. The house had great bones, but need new heating and cooling, flooring, painting, kitchen... all the good stuff!
The Price family in front of our new home ! 

 Today I wanted to show you pictures of our guest bedrooms. These bedrooms were not in terrible condition. We painted, laid hardwood floors and replaced the windows. With two guest rooms we have enough room for everyone to stay!
Guest Bedroom #1 Before

We notice the "lovely" window treatments, beautiful shag carpet (which Heath loved to roll around on), and squatty windows....  Did I mention that the house had not been touched/redone since it was built in 1950!  There were lovely light fixtures, which we did not get a picture of. I debated painting over the wood paneling. This is the real thing - very, very nice paneling. But after the painters started painting the rest of the house, I decided to paint over it. It would just look too dingy if I left it. 



Guest Bedroom #1 Now! 

You will notice the green walls, hardwood flooring and larger windows. This twin bedroom suit was Gunter's when he was younger and I just love it! 

The window treatments are from Target. We used them at our old house. Mom converted one panel into a valance for the small window! I love the green walls with the black and white fabric on the curtains. 

Kelsey, my sister, made this for me. She used various pins that belonged to my grandmother, Gran. 
She backed the picture with linen. Love it! 

Guest Room #2 Before

It looks very similar to Guest Room #1. Same lovely carpeting, same lovely window treatments, same squatty windows, but this picture you get a small glimpse of the lightening. It takes you back to 1970, doesn't it? 

Guest Bedroom #2 Now! 

This is definitely my favorite bedroom! It is so girly, light and airy! We obviously painted, laid hardwood and replaced the windows. 

The painting over the bed is compliments of my sister, Kelsey! She is a wonderful artist. The bedspread is a chenille spread that was mine when I was younger. The light green dust ruffle and shams are from Anthropologie. Here are some pictures from a few of my other favorite things in this room! 

This a cross stitch that belonged to my grandmother, Gran. Her friend Joyce  made it for her. 
I think that it is gorgeous, and the colors go so well with room! 

The smaller white pillow the ring pillow that the ring bearer carried in our wedding! 
The fabric on the larger pillow is the same fabric that is on the draperies. 

Vanity that my grandmother, MeMe, refinished for me. 
The bed, 3-drawer chest, and rocking chair was purchased at an estate sale! Beautiful antiques! 

More pictures of the house coming soon! 


5 comments:

  1. Yayayayayay! LOVE it!!! Can't wait to see it in real life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Heath rolling around on that carpet! Ha!! Hope y'all had fun this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks really, really great. impresionante.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a real discerning eye for decor! Looks good! Can't wait to see it in person :)

    ReplyDelete