Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sneak Peak: Nursery Fabric

Before I show you the nursery fabrics, I wanted to show you the twin bed that is going in the nursery as well. It wasn't ready when we picked up the other nursery fabric from Rachel Eden. Mom and Dad brought it down the next weekend. Gunter found a really good deal on this piece. It was a double headboard, but Gunter did a little tweaking and now it fits a twin bed! Rachel distressed it... and it looks great!

Rachel did such a good job! 
The maltase was from the old bedroom. 

Now onto the fabric... My mom is a seamstress, so she has agreed to make the bedding and curtains for the nursery. Thank you! Our problem was finding fabric. We don't have many choices in our small Alabama town, but I did look at what we had. Nothing jumped out at me. Mom looked a few places in Birmingham, and sent me the samples. Nothing jumped out at me. 

Several weekends later, I went to Atlanta to hang out with the Alpha Chi girls. My friend Brittany mentioned that she needed to go the fabric stores, did I need to go too? Of course! So we spent a couple of hours one Saturday wondering through Forsyth Fabrics and Lewis and Sharon. I found several fabrics that I liked, but wasn't sure how they would look in the room. Then the next weekend, we went to Birmingham. Mom and I went to King Cotton and I found several things that I liked, but once again, wasn't sure how everything would look in the room. At the end of my search, I had about 30 swatches to choose from. 
The many swatches we had to choose from...

Gunter and I did decide on one fabric that we both really liked. It is going to be the dust ruffle for the crib. 
The blue/gray in the circles matches the walls perfectly! 
I am so excited about this choice! 

Mom is making panels to go on the big windows in the nursery. There is also a smaller window which will have a shade on it. Therefore, I didn't want a pattern that was too busy or had too much going on, because there is going to be so much fabric hanging up there! Mom suggested that I look at a site where Kelsey found some fabric for her Auburn house. Just my luck... found some really cute fabric that matches perfectly! They sent me a swatch and it looks great with the dust ruffle fabric. I ended up ordering it on Cyber Monday, which means that I got a discount and free shipping. I couldn't have gotten a better deal! 
This fabric is a large houndstooth print called Kiwi Houndstooth. 
It's from Lisa Lill Studio in New York. 
Love it! Love it! Love it! 

Finally, we have the bumper pads. I chose two fabrics for the bumper pads. The green fabric is going to be on the outside and white on the inside. I am also going to monogram the inside too... when we decide on a name! 
It's a little dark. But on the left is a green and white checked fabric. 
Then a plain white fabric on the right. 

More pictures to come when everything is completed! Mom is going to start on the dust ruffle ASAP. The curtain fabric from New York should be arriving any day! 

1 comment: