Tuesday, December 28, 2010

ER Visit

Yesterday was not a good day around the Price house... I woke up Monday morning feeling like I may be getting sick - a bladder infection. I immediately began pumping the cranberry juice! I went and paid a little visit to Sydney, Will, and Baby Eli before they left to head back home to Savannah. But by lunch I wasn't feeling much better. Now the pain had moved to by back - the lower left side. I remember this feeling all too well. It couldn't be anything but kidney stones!

When I was a junior at Auburn I had my first run-in with the dreaded kidney stones. I was a Pi Chi that year, helping Freshman girls as they went through recruitment. On the last day of rush I began feeling very terrible and had a pain that was indescribable and made me nauseous. Poor Gunter tried to take me to the Urgent Care. They couldn't tell me what was wrong. My mom was on a trip with her friends, so as soon as she flew in she drove down to Auburn and attempted to take me the East Alabama Medical Center in Auburn. They couldn't figure out anything... and we eventually just left the hospital, got in the car and drove straight to the St. Vincent's ER where they diagnosed my pain as the passing of a kidney stone. Although by that time, I had already passed it :)

Back to yesterday. I was working with my sewing machine and the pain become terrible. I got in a hot bathtub to see if that would relax the muscles, but it didn't help. I called the doctor to see if I could still take some pain medication that had prescribed to me at the beginning of my pregnancy for kidney stones.  Yes, it was still ok. I took that. One hour later I didn't feel any better. I called Gunter and told him to get home ASAP. Not long after he walked in the door I got sick everywhere - from the horrible pain. Poor Gunter had to clean it up. Could hear him in the bedroom gagging, while I was in the bathroom doing the same. (It's only preparing him for the future!)

By that point, I knew I had to get to the ER. I knew that there is not much that you can do for kidney stones, but I was most worried about the baby. The pain can be so intense that it sends you into labor. After waiting for a little while, I was called back into the ER. The nurse said that it was a miracle. They had absolutely no beds in the ER (I felt like Mary in the Christmas story at this point), but that Labor and Delivery had several available beds and they would send me up there. I was sent up stairs, hooked up to a fetal monitor, and checked. Everything was great! My cervix had not dilated.  Baby Price was doing good! That was an answer to prayer!

Several hours later I passed the stone. They asked me if I wanted to go home, to which I replied "Yes!" I am feeling much better today and know for certain that the stone is gone. I am no longer feeling pain on the left side of my back.

This morning I had to go to my regularly scheduled OB visit, where they performed the blood glucose test. Of course it came back that I have high sugar levels. So next week, I will be going for the 3 hour blood glucose test! Doesn't that sound fun! Please pray that I do not have any more stones during my pregnancy and that the results of my blood glucose test next week come back with a good note.

I am waiting on Kelsey to email pics from our Christmas! Hopefully I will post those soon. I hope that everyone had a Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. KB! I cant imagine. Glad you are feeling better and that sweet baby is doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no! the same thing happened to me when i was preg with rivers. thankfully you don't remember pain... so glad that is over! cant wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete