Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Kids Say the Darndest Things

Last Thursday (October 21) I told my "kids" at school that I was expecting. I wanted to tell them before I found out the sex of the baby, but on Friday we were going on a field trip to the Pumpkin Patch. I was really afraid that I was going to get "sick" on the trip and wanted to warn them. The weather in LA (Lower Alabama) has been extremely high, and hot weather and I are not getting along. It turns out that it wasn't that hot on Friday and I did not get sick.

So, I put a diaper in a bag and asked them to guess what I had in bag. They started off guessing random things - from candy to seashells. So I finally stopped them and asked them to guess the color. After a few guesses, someone finally guessed white. Then I gave them a hint. One of my student's mom is expecting her fourth baby any day now. My hint was that "I bet Riley has a lot of these at her house. " This got the ball rolling. They were now guessing rattles, bottles, pacifiers, etc. Finally, the fifth guess was a diaper. I asked them, "Why would a bring a diaper to school?" Someone said, "To give to Riley. " No. Then someone said "YOUR HAVING A BABY!" Then they were all yelling "Yeah!"

A few seconds later, one little boy said, "Wait! You cannot be having a baby!" To which I responded, "Yes I am." He then answered, "Well, I don't see it, and you are not even FAT!" I told him it would be coming! Pretty soon they would be rolling me down to the playground!

The kids then told me if they thought the baby would be a girl or boy. We made a chart!
Here is the kiddies with our chart! 
As you can see, most kids think it's a girl! 

It was time for us to head to music. On the way, I told them that they could tell their friends that I was expecting. They then asked could they tell the principle and other teachers. I told them that I had already told them. One little girl said, "Wait! Have you told Gunter yet?" I replied, "Yes, Gunter knows." It is so funny that they think so highly of themselves and that I would tell them, before I told my husband! 

My class at the Pumpkin Patch! 

Tomorrow is the big day! We will know if Baby Price is a boy or girl! 


No comments:

Post a Comment