Sunday, September 11, 2011

We Remember

Today is a sad day for our country. It was 10 years ago today that the Twin Towers were struck by terrorists. Thousands of lives were lost and families were torn apart. But as we discussed in church this morning, our country was brought together by prayer during this terrible time. We know that God has a plan in everything that occurs.

I can remember 9-11-01 so well. I was sitting in Coach Bagley's Economics class. It was my senior year at Homewood High. It seemed to be a normal day until our principal, Dyer Carlisle, came over the intercom to inform the school that a plane had just crashed into the World Trade Center. What were we to do the rest of day? I am sure that the teachers couldn't continue on with scheduled lessons. All that you could do was to watch the coverage on TV. When I got home from school, I remember huddling up around the TV with Mom, Kyle, and Kelsey. Then that night we went to a special prayer service.

You see it was just several months earlier that the Star Spangled Girls, the dance line I was on in high school, were marching in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. My family stayed at the World Trade Center hotel.

Hannah and I in NYC. 
Notice the Twin Towers in the back. 

We toured the Statue of Liberty and got our picture taken with the New York skyline in the back. Little did we know that skyline would be changed forever in a couple of months. That was my first trip to New York, my first and only picture of the Twin Towers.

Several years later, when I was in college, I went back to New York for Spring Break with my friends Anna, Maggie, and Mary-Peyton. We visited Ground Zero. I could hardly stand it. It made me so upset that I couldn't even tour the area. There was one thing that stood tall in the middle of the rubble reminded me that God in is control.



Two years later, my family went back to New York to watch Kelsey dance in the Macy's Parade. Ground Zero was a pile of rubble still, but we did tour the church across the street. I am anxious to go back and see the Memorials that honor those who lost their lives. In 365 more days that 9-11 museum will hopefully be opened.

This morning I got to watch a little bit of dedication service at Ground Zero. So much has happened to our country in ten years, but I pray that we will never forget September 11, 2001. I love this commercial that was shown during the service today.



I pray that you are enjoying your day of remembrance. I am glued to the TV watching all of the specials and documentaries. May we always remember and never forget. God Bless America!

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    while browsing through the internet today I found the image "Hannah and I in NYC. " on your webpage. The picture is really beautiful!!! - so I have to contact you immediately to ask you wether you like to participate in our project:

    three years ago we -Robert Ziegler and Stefka Ammon- started working on our private project MY_WTC. It is our goal to explore the question of the site' s myth via (mostly) tourists' photographs of the World Trade Center in New York City (August 5th 1966 - September 10th 2001). Also we would like to find out why so many people took pictures of themselves in front, on top of, inside or next to the WTC. Our project is about exploring the "specific aura" of the World Trade Center from the angle of tourists from all over the world.

    On our photo-blog www.my-wtc.com you can see pictures submitted from many places and, this is important to us too, you can also comment on pictures with your memories and associations. We hope to create a vivid exchange. We would be very happy if we arouse your interest with our MY_WTC project. It would really be wonderful if you also submit your great picture! Maybe even with some comments or descriptions (year, reason for photograph...)

    In any case we are very much looking forward to hearing from you! Best greetings from sunny Berlin, Germany

    Best Robert and Stefka

    ReplyDelete