Thursday, November 11, 2010

Nut Fest 2010

First of all, let me say "Happy Veterans Day!" Thank you to all of those who have given up their lives for our country and freedom. My Granddaddy was a World War II veteran and a very sweet man. I miss him dearly. A thank you to him. Also a special thanks my friends the Hewitts. Will has been serving overseas and will be heading back to the states in just a few days. Sydney and Baby Eli are anxiously awaiting his return.

The first week in November is a big week here in Dothan. It is when the National Peanut Festival comes to  town! I have always loved going to fairs. When I was younger we just to go to the Tuscaloosa County Fair with my grandparents. We loved riding all the rides, seeing the little dancing monkey, and getting free magnets, pencils, and other knick-knacks from the various booths.


The Peanut Festival is a little different. They have really, really good food! My favorite are the corndogs. There is a man that comes to the Peanut Festival every year and make homemade corndogs. His name of course is the "Corndog Man." This year we met our friends John and Adrienne at the Nut Fest. Our first stop was the Corndog Man. Then we walked around the "Midway" where all the rides are. I am not a big "rider." There are a few rides that I will do (not any the spin in circles). My favorite rides at the fair include the "Crazy Mouse" and the Ferris Wheel. This year however, I did not think that it would be in my best interest to ride any rides, with a little one on the way.

As we completed the loop of the Midway, I decided that I wanted another corndog. So I stood in line again for a second corndog. The line is not short either. Its a good 15 - 20 minute wait for a homemade corndog. That just tells you how good they are.

Also at the Nut Fest they have special performers each night. Last year Lady Antebellum performed. I was secretly wishing that they were coming back again, but they are too big this year to grace the presence of Lower Alabama. Last year after they performed they won a CMA, pretty cool. This year we went to see Steel Magnolia. They were also up for a CMA last night, but didn't win. They did put on a good show. We sat with our friends Blayne and Justin in the "special, front row seats." So we were really close up. When kept wondering by the way Steel Magnolia was acting if they were a "couple." Sure enough, turns out they are dating.

Meg informed the crowd that she got her outfit across the street from the Peanut Festival at Rue 21. They were not expecting it to be that cold in Alabama. Ha! ha!

The Nut Fest just wasn't the same this year without our usual posse` - Kelsey and her roomates and Hannah. Hannah and Will live too far away. Kelsey had too much going on at Auburn with the Ole Miss game one weekend and Homecoming the next. Maybe next year they can join us!

I'm off to sew with Megan in Enterprise! She is teaching me how to applique! Hopefully there will be pictures to come (if I can figure out  how to do it on my sewing machine!)

No comments:

Post a Comment